Sunday, October 3, 2010

Time Outside



The job at Caw Caw has turned out well. I'm regaining my trail eyes and general awareness. It was kind of alarming to realize how far one can drift and how much can escape notice after long stints of urban-only exposure. The girls and I spend a good deal of time on the greenway, at the beach, and so forth, but it just isn't the same as really getting away from the distractions of urban existence. Of course, being away from the girls is nice, too. I love being around them most of the time, but having a day by myself is a great gift (especially at this stage in the game...they're exhibiting a more advanced independence, lately, that requires much less of my help, but much more of my attention).

I've picked up on 2 new species for the plant list at Caw Caw, seen some really cool birds (including a masked lovebird that escaped the clutches of its cager), and tons of dragonflies and other insects (most notably a female Carolina mantis devouring her recent mate's head...a challenging interpretive feat for the younger audience that was present).

Speaking of things being devoured, check out this photo. It'll make you wonder why things without backbones have such a weak reputation.


Rides are way down, lately. Nobody has any integrity, motivation, or time, so I've been going solo for most. We've switched our route for the darker season, but I might have to switch it, again. The shared use path over the Cooper River used to be a good option as part of this route, but there are so many pedestrians, these days, that it gets downright dangerous up there. Most bipeds have really weak powers of perception or totally shut them down by donning headphones to supply them with a soundtrack of music that belongs in the sewer.

Have you listened to what most are listening to these days? Does the world really have room for another well-t0-do, piano-based, quirky female singer/songwriter whining about relationships or another trust fund "folky" fellow pining about how beautiful is the natural world while he tours the country in his jet? If it isn't one of these, it's another rung for the ladder of strained Caucasian "soul" music that has been leaning against the house that built it for way too long. Of course, there are gems among the garbage, but it seems that every time a style gets recycled, lately, a million others follow (as if it's not bad enough that somebody brought back that vomit-inducing Elton John sound in the first place). We've lost some creativity, and I can see why people migrate to stuff like Arab on Radar, Zach Hill, U.S. Maple, etc.

On the other hand, there's this:

And the resulting and nearly equally-entertaining mockery:

Don't ask me how I wound up with this. It was one of those things where I was searching for something completely unrelated and I stumbled upon these diamonds in the rough.

We went out for a night ride in the woods last Thursday. I'm kind of hoping it'll become a fixture for the winter, since we had 5 instead of the 2 that we've had for the road ride for the last 4 or 5 weeks. I only feel a little guilty about disturbing the horned owls and others that depend on the absence of our lights and loud mouths for sexual success during this season.

Speaking of the critter world, my co-worker pointed out a weird little fly the other day that I had never seen. It looked like a small wasp (thread waist and long abdomen), but it had the characteristic halteres and antennae of a fly. I think I finally found an identification. It is a Psilonyx spp., but it looks like there's some discrepancy over whether they are robber flies or in their own family (I found one reference to a Grass Fly family...Leptogastridae, I believe). The crazy thing is that this thing was only 5 or 6mm. I'm surprised we even noticed it. I'd love to see what kind of prey it takes, being so small.


So, lately, I've been a little down. It has to do with communicating less than I should with my handful of really good friends. I think it jealousy. I avoid some communication because it will inevitably remind me of just how condemned is a man that stays home with his twins. I know that sounds drastic, but, the fact is, it is drastic. I hear things about my friends' lives about which I should be happy, but I frequently (and unfortunately) force such news through my selfish filter that just leaves me thinking, "Wow, I wish I had the time/money/friends/etc. to do that." Nothing can be done about this, but I needed to say it...in case you are one of those friends. I love you guys, but I can be a petty twit on occasion...and I'm gonna' allow it. We all deserve a little wallowing in the pit.

However, I'd hate for there to be any misunderstanding, so here are a couple of recent images of the angels that walk among us. Even if there are some lows, I wouldn't have it any other way.



I'm more than likely going to drop this blog thing. It's just become too much of an albatross around my neck. I feel like I don't have the time to get in depth, and I'd rather spend the time doing other things, frankly. If I do drop it, you can always get in touch through more conventional means (most of my information is the same it has always been since you've known me, but if you need an update, let me know).








No comments: