Saturday, June 30, 2012

A Ride is a Ride

So, the plan was to drive to Ocala, get a hotel, and get to the race by 8am to confirm our registration. None of that happened. The girls were sick this week, with Tillie getting to a 102.5 fever one day and Delia coughing and waking me up for the past 4 or 5 nights in a row. Matt, my teammate, and the shop owner, was running late on Friday, so I knew we wouldn't make it to ride the course before the race, but I thought we might just pull it off in the last minute. We did not, but we did run up to FATS for a 4 hour run this morning, so I don't feel as worthless as I would have, otherwise.

As always, I wrote that first paragraph months ago.  Between work and my family, I just don't find the time to update this thing very frequently.  I've come to accept this, however, and I've lost the guilt that I used to feel when I didn't stay up with it.  It comes down to my aversion to "connectedness," I suspect.  Ironically, I feel like the more I see the majority of the population trying to minimize the awkward pauses in their life conversations, the more I want to run away from it.

I did just that and finally went to see Adam in Costa Rica.  He lives up the mountains from San Jose, so we were close enough to walk up into some nicely forested areas and even get lost one night while wandering around listening for goatsuckers and owls.  The location also put us comfortably distant from the terrible air quality of that whole San Jose metro area.  Thankfully, Adam is still into our "thing" (meandering...silently, for the most part...usually getting lost in the process), and we had some really good centering times among the flora and fauna of the wet mountain forests of the central mountains and the Caribbean coast at Cahuita.  Here are some photographs from the trip:





There were so many things that were new to me down there that it isn't even worth trying to post more than this.  I wouldn't do it justice, even with the 100 or so pics I snapped on Adam's camera.  Life is everywhere there (bromeliads commonly seen growing upon power/telephone lines), which makes it all the more depressing to witness the black runoff in the streets and the palpable smog that seems perpetual in the skies above most of that area.  I did see more bicycles than one would think, especially considering the total lack of street names and the Tron-like traffic buzzing about the horribly-maintained roads.  Almost all of them were MTB's, but I did spy a few "off" roadies.  There was even one Blue, which seemed a sore thumb among all the Trek-bikes and Specialized rigs.

Which reminds me of a recent oddity from the shop...Nearly every Trek-bike owner lets us know that they have just that in the car and would like us to take a look or repair.  It makes me wonder if Trek is known for toasters in Thailand or recliners in Russia.  To all Trek owners that may stumble here...I have nothing against your brand, but drop the "bike" part in your shop...they know you're not bringing them a television for service.

So, I also just completed my first triathlon and nabbed 4th in my age class.  I must say that if I'd prepared for it a little more, I'm sure I could've won, but that wasn't my intention.  The shop owner sponsored the series, so we got free slots for each one.  He wanted us to participate, and I'm glad I did.  I had a good time with it, chatting up the people I was passing (making jokes, commending those on less-than-feather-weight rigs, etc.), and it was a nice change from my comfort zone of commute and group ride regularity.  I think it did a little to help me understand those peculiar critters that are triathletes, too.  I can see how one would get hung on such a sport.  It really is kind of fun, but I just don't have the inclination to trade what little free time I have for even more physical exertion.  I already feel dead by the time 10pm rolls around each night.  Besides, I've seen what happens with the children of competitive triathletes, and they don't seem very happy or normal.

This last item brings to mind Grant Petersen's new book, "Just Ride."  He makes some really great points in it, and it is completely worth your time to read what he's gleaned after all these years.  My only gripe is the dualistic racer vs. non-racer thing he presents, since I fall squarely in the middle of it most of the time.  In fact, I went back to toe cages and straps for the sprint partly because of his influence (though, it just seemed dumb to me to change shoes twice in such a short event).  Full disclosure:  I put the clipless back on for last night's ride and felt way better...placebo or not.

The girls are in a pretty big rut, lately.  There's way too much whining, possessiveness, and associated aggravating behavior, but I have to blame that on their classmates (they are, after all, carrying the burden of being December babies, so their "peers" are younger).  I also get the impression that many of their cohorts have parents that communicate "at" them, rather than communicating "with" them (with consequent backsliding and compromising on disciplinary positions from the looks of it).  On the other hand, the girls are making pretty big strides in vocabulary and speech, in general.  They're also riding their balance bikes with great skill, at this point, so it's nearly time for some helmets and pedals.  We're taking this activity slowly, since I really don't want to force my perspective on them.  I'd rather let them ease into it and be riding with me well into my old age.

We also "caught" (picked up might be another way of putting this) a black swallowtail a couple of weeks ago, so there's a chrysalis on the kitchen counter, right now, that'll soon be a beautiful butterfly that they can then release in the backyard.  Between insect pets and the many citrus seedlings for which they are responsible, we're hoping the puppy thing can wait.

I haven't seen much on the video front, lately, but there are a couple of things that are worth putting on here:



My goodness...how time evaporates.  It is now nearly July, and I feel like I wrote the rest of what is above months ago...oh, that's because I did.  

Lots to say, but think I should probably get this post up and think about starting a new one, since things are going to be changing for the next few months with Andree home.














1 comment: